Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Because we all need a little chocolate

Tonight I stomped to my fridge, pulled out a bar of Cadbury's Milk Chocolate Mint Crisp that my cousins brought over from South Africa for me and said, "I AM GOING TO EAT THIS WHOLE BAR OF CHOCOLATE!"  I snapped off the first row and ate the first square and then felt a massive wave of guilt.  I ended up eating two rows - 20 grams which equals about 100 calories - and putting the rest back.

But it got me thinking.  We are all going to need a lot of chocolate to get through the uncertain future that now faces us, so I thought it was only right I share my very best brownie recipe as a gesture of goodwill.



Knock You Naked Brownies

 

 

1 package German chocolate cake mix (18.5 oz)[ I use Devil's Food cake]

1 cup chopped nuts

1/3 cup + 1/2 cup evaporated milk-divided

1/2 cup melted butter

60 vanilla caramels unwrapped (one 14 oz package) [ I use less, you 

can't get that size package now]

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
PARCHMENT PAPER

 

 

In a large mixing bowl, combine dry cake mix, nuts, 1/3 cup 

evaporated milk and melted butter. Press half of the batter into the 

bottom of a greased 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish (line with parchment paper first). Bake in a 

preheated 350 degree oven for eight minutes.

In the microwave or top of a double boiler melt caramels with 

remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk. When caramel mixture is well 

mixed, pour over baked layer. Cover with chocolate chips. Chill for 

about an hour or until the caramel is hard. Press the remaining 

batter on top of morsels. Return to oven and bake 28 minutes (or less 

for gooier brownies). Let cool before cutting.

 

Note: This recipe supposedly originated at the Salt Creek Restaraunt 

in Breckenridge, Colorado.


I love these things.  And the refrigeration time definitely is important if you want nice smooth layers and ooey, gooey brownies!

No comments: