Thursday, October 13, 2016

The Next Peak

If you are ever so minded, you should read L. M. Montgomery's "Emily" series.  The first is "Emily of New Moon", the second "Emily Climbs" and the final book is "Emily's Quest". 

I've read them all so often I can't remember where any of them ends and begins (except perhaps for the first beginning and the final ending), but a recurring theme is that as she grows as a young woman and as a writer she reaches peak after peak on the "Alpine Path".  The Alpine Path is basically a dreamscape where with every achievement and her growing mastery of her art she has climbed a new level and gets to walk along a plateau for a bit before having to struggle upwards to the next peak.  She observes that you can never reach the top, but when you crest a plateau you get a wonderful feeling of achievement and exhilaration that helps you onward and upward during the hard times.

Today I got an email.  That's not the exciting part; I probably get well over 100 emails daily (it drives me insane!) and while probably 80 of them I get to delete, 10 I have to read and the last 10 require I do yet more work on something or other.  No, the exciting part is that today, among emails about university clubs, semester progress reports, sales at Target, and cheap Texan health insurance, I got an email saying I've been accepted as a sportswriter for Planet Benfica.

And may I say, the view from this peak is glorious.

No comments: