Thursday, January 20, 2011

Keeping busy

Classes start on Monday and I'm trying to keep myself busy to get used to working again...instead of sleeping all day :)

Today I got up fairly late, showered, made myself a waffle with delicious maple-agave syrup, and then walked to campus to pick up my paycheck. I got there at 11:15 and there was a note on the door saying, "Back at 10:45". I decided to sit and wait, and luckily the secretaries turned up five minutes later. I asked Ms. Azevedo (one of the secretaries)about my class scheduling problem: one of the classes I want to take overlaps with another class I want to take, but apparently the professors are fine with it and I just need some paperwork to sort it all out. She called a couple people and we SEEM to have it figured out, but I'm waiting to get a reply from Professor Rodrigue to make sure it's okay with her first. I really want to take that class...if not, it's the seminar class for me!

Then I walked home, got my stuff together, and went out. First to the bank to deposit my paycheck and get a roll of quarters for laundry tomorrow (ugh). Then I stopped by BigLots looking for a calendar. I didn't find one but I did find a nice six-pocket folio, some scotch tape, and a box of envelopes that I seriously needed.

I decided to go to Target (I really needed a calendar) and found a nice one that is now taped up on the wall above my desk, and got 2 ten-packs of hangers ($1.27 for a pack!!) as well as being evil and getting a jar of pure maple syrup. I used the gift card that Uncle Luis and Auntie Vera gave me, so I felt it was the perfect compromise between what I need and what I want!

After that I headed home and had lunch. Then I ordered some books off of Amazon with the gift certificates Nicky and Steven sent me, so I'm really excited about that. I got two Anne McCaffreys that I didn't have before (once these arrive, there are only three short stories I don't own from the Pern collection, and one is supposed to be awful so I might not buy it). I don't include the ones her son wrote, they're dreadful and two were more than enough to confirm my opinion of this. I also got a Chalet School book for $4 (including shipping), so it's the first step towards the entire 60+ book collection!
Some days, I imagine being a millionaire and buying every single book I want RIGHT AWAY. But if I did that, I probably wouldn't be a millionaire anymore.

Yesterday was a chilly 60F, but today was a bit warmer, which I appreciate. I hope it stays warm tomorrow when I do laundry. (I'm saving the laundry for tomorrow because I don't have anything else to do tomorrow and I want to keep a little busy.)

I still need to buy a USB hub but I'm not exactly sure which one is best yet. I wonder if Consumer Reports ever did a page on them? I should ask Mom and Dad.

I can't think of anything else to write about right now. I think I might curl up with a book or something. I don't feel like going for a walk particularly, and I'm hunting for a dress for Sophia's wedding on Friday or Saturday...yes, I think a book is a good idea.

No comments: