Saturday, January 22, 2011

Saturday Night

I'm sitting at home, alone on Saturday night. In California this is more usual than unusual, but after a month at home of weekends with my family with shrimp and salmon and steak and britcoms and ice cream...barbecue chicken with frozen blueberries for dessert, and Sex and the City the Movie on dvd just doesn't cut it.
Still, it could be worse. I could be on a really awful date. Let's be grateful for what mercies that are!

Today was spent shopping, but for some reason it left me irritable. Retail therapy seems to have soured slightly.
I looked on Google for a good athletic shoe store, found one with only good reviews, and headed out there only to find it was not in a good neighborhood; all the stores had bars on the windows. I nervously made my way inside, and found they didn't carry many ladies' shoes, and left, secretly rather thankful.

I made lunch - pasta and cheese - and then headed out to Sports Authority where the very helpful sales associate showed me the five best shoes to support injured knees. Two were ridiculously expensive, and they only had one of the other three in my size, so that made my choice easy. The shoes were still $60, so I jumped up and down, walked fast, walked slow, and generally tried them out, but I liked them a lot. I used the rest of Uncle Luis's and Auntie Vera's gift card on them and it struck me as slightly humorous that I was using their card on running shoes, considering everyone in that family runs. But I'm very happy to have them, and very happy that the gift card made them a lot more affordable!

Then I went to Ross to look for dresses for Sophia's wedding and FINALLY found one! It's purple, with elbow sleeves and a knee-length skirt, and I hope it's appropriate for a wedding at Leu Gardens in February. I should really get a book on dress etiquette for things like this, but I sent a picture to Mom and she approved, and she's been to lots of weddings so I'm sure it's ok.
I also got a pretty white sundress that has these gorgeous black patterns stamped on it. It looks really nice on me, and it's strapless and stretchy so it should still fit when I lose weight.

I headed home after that, but only long enough to drop off my purchases before I walked to CVS to pick up some stuff. I got $3 in "Extra bucks" so I bought myself a new hairbrush (mine is breaking slowly), and it was $14 so hopefully it'll last awhile!! Hairbrushes are so important, especially when you're thinking about growing your hair out. I really can't decide what to do: one day I want to grow my hair out, the next I want to chop it all off.

I'm sitting here now watching Iron Chef, thinking about food. I ate a lot today, but it's Saturday so that's okay. I'm allowed one day of going "over budget" in the calorie department. I really need to make jello so that there's something extra in my fridge to help reduce cooling costs. But I'm feeling lazy, maybe I'll do it tomorrow.

Midnight...do I go to bed early or curl up with a book? I'm thinking book. I probably won't have much time to read novels once the semester starts.

No comments: