Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Sunday Far, Far Away

This weekend has been SO busy!

Saturday I went out to campus to work on my NAGPRA report that's due Monday, and headed up to lab to drop some stuff off before going home and finally making those curtains I've been intending to do since last August (although I only bought the fabric a week ago).

And here are pictures:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Aren't they absolutely adorable? The fabric was on sale (hooray!) and I used a coupon on the bonding stuff I used to hem stuff. You know the stuff - it's this thin web you press between the fabric you want to bond and iron over it. I'm really glad they're up - now the workmen who have been fixing up the complex can't look in my windows. The blinds left some serious gaps, and I have some weird neighbors. Not to mention, one day a magazine salesman somehow got in and was knocking on everyone's door at 8 pm on a Wednesday night, which SERIOUSLY pissed me off. There is a reason I moved to a gated complex! I want to feel safe in my own damn apartment, you know?

I went out with Dan last night on a photography expedition around downtown LA which was lots of fun, partially because he drove, partially because there is some absolutely gorgeous architecture down there!
I haven't edited the pictures yet, but I should get to it eventually.

Today was sooo much work!

After my morning ritual of forcing myself out of my warm, comfy bed, eating, and reading the comics I went grocery shopping. They had absolutely amazing strawberries at Sam's Club today, and they're technically healthy food so I didn't feel bad about buying them. And then when I went to Ralph's they had a 50% off sale on their poultry so I got a (very small) chicken for $3.50, which is destined for dinner and sandwiches.

When I got back home I had to individually wrap all the chicken thighs from Sam's Club with clingfilm and shove them in the freezer before I could start the roaster chicken, but I got it all in the freezer and/or oven eventually and started on my homework.

Somehow I managed to get two labs for 561 (I'm still going to go over the one to double-check it), my NAGPRA report, and an essay for 451 (going to check that over again too) finished over the course of the afternoon. I have more work I want to do, but I might put it off until Tuesday. I'm tired.

My intention for this evening is to sit with my feet up and mend the black skirt I ripped months ago and never got around to fixing. I also want to fry a bunch of bacon to put in my week's sandwiches, but I'm much too comfortable to do that right this second. There's so much good tv on Sunday, mostly Holmes Inspection and Holmes on Homes. I realize, now that I'm older, all that HGTV and Food Network I've watched all my life, and watching and helping Mom and Dad in the kitchen and around the house and garden has taught me a lot that most people my age (and lots of other people) don't know.
Still, I definitely want Dad to help me pick my first house/condo/grown-up apartment.

It still surprises me when people I know don't know how to sew (even though my sewing is very simple plain-sewing, I've forgotten all my embroidery stitches), and are intimidated by cooking. I mean, sure souffles are tricky, but roasting a chicken is one of the easiest things you can do. Soups are simple, and seafood just takes practice, as does most red meat.

Of course there are lots of things I want to know/be good at that I'm not. Like carpentry and laying tiles and pouring cement and all those fixer-upper things. My grandfather always told me to never ever buy an old house, but I think a not-quite-old house that I could fix up and change to suit myself would be fun, given enough money to play with and spare time to make it "easy". And a husband to do all the heavy lifting, I think that's definitely a requirement.

Okay, it's definitely time to get some "fun" reading in. It's so lovely to read something that I want to read, not just have to read...especially when it has nothing to do with work!

No comments: