Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

Well, I seem to have made it to the finish line.  All my assignments are turned in (some over a full day early!), there are no exams, I'm registered for classes, and I just have one bit of paperwork left to do that I can't do yet because I'm waiting on an email.

This semester has been a hellbeast.  I got sick last week from stress and spent 3 days on the couch, hacking my lungs out and trying to keep down the French onion soup I made from Thanksgiving turkey stock.  (It's surprisingly good with turkey stock instead of beef/chicken!  I may have to do this again.)

Last night one of the Croatians I met working on the Gnalic project a couple summers ago had his going away party - he's been here for the semester studying ship construction - and I went and had quite a good time until 10 pm when I started feeling depressed and bleak.  I left soon after and snuggled on the couch at home in my fuzzy sweatpants, but still felt bleh and went to bed by 11:30 pm which is extremely unusual for me.

This morning I slept in (thanks to a bunch of nightmares that kept me awake in the wee hours) and it was only when I was trying to eat that I realized I was dizzy and nauseated...and sickAgain.

Despite that, I've worked at my nonprofit job, gotten my online healthcare account set up and my first month's premium paid for, sorted out some crap with my student account, submitted this pay period's time sheet, had lunch, fed the birds, and taken out the trash.

It's appropriate, because I feel like trash.  I may call out of tonight's meeting because infecting people right before Christmas is not good karma.  Plus going out in what is likely to be low 50s high 40s weather after the sun sets with blustery wind isn't going to make me any better, and I need to run errands in Houston tomorrow AND I work the closing shift tomorrow night so I need to be top of my game or stuffed with Dayquil, take your pick.

Somehow I've managed to be quite ahead of the game in some things - I have every last Christmas and birthday gift I needed unless I can find something for my cousin's little girl (been looking but haven't fallen in love with anything) and some catnip for my kitty.  AND they're all wrapped and under my tiny Christmas tree which makes me way too damn happy for my own good.  My entire apartment is tidy, and it's even fairly clean (I scrubbed out the sink night before last, which again, is unusual for me), AND it's decorated for Christmas (thank you, Big Lots/dollar stores everywhere).

Of course, there's plenty of mending and vacuuming and swiffering I both could and should be doing.  But I might just wrap up and lie on the couch and let my poor, swollen head lie back on some soft pillows and with my eyes closed...

Just 9 days til I'm home with my family again!!!

No comments: