Thursday, March 22, 2012

Blue, a thousand times blue

Today is one of those California days of brilliant blue skies, palm trees waving gently in the breeze, and the temperature hovering around 64F - although the weather channel warns a winter storm of rain and wind is due this weekend.

The weather, the warmth, the sun, all remind me of why I moved here to California.  On the face of it, I moved here for my career, but whenever someone moves to California there's always another reason - to meet people. 

Sometimes I wonder if my time here would have been different if I had met "those people", because I certainly have met people.  Judy stands among them as being unfailingly awesome, and she's probably responsible for about 70% of my social life here, not to mention she got me a job last fall.

My thesis isn't going well.  My sleep patterns have gotten worse and worse.  I'm lucky if I can fall asleep before 3 am, and I wake up frequently throughout the night...and getting up in the morning requires me turning on the tv (usually I keep the remote by my bed for this purpose) and listening to the noise and seeing the light.

Yesterday was something of a red-letter day because I got two important things done: my application to renew my greencard, and another signature on that stupid form.  I just need one more and then I can move ahead with the Margaret Mead Film Festival...I hope.

Everyone says how wonderful I am for trucking ahead with Margaret Mead all by myself, how great it is I'm looking for another job, and how well I'm doing in GIS and remote sensing...I don't feel wonderful.  I feel tired.  I want my thesis to do itself and I really want Dr. Lipo to let me collect the rest of my data. 

I have to go get ready for class.  Hopefully the job hunt will go better tomorrow.

No comments: