Friday, November 12, 2010

How To Get Your Drivers' License In California

Quick background story: I took my California drivers' license test on August 23rd and passed. I was informed at the DMV that I didn't need to do anything else, that my card would arrive in the mail in 3-6 weeks. I was appalled that it would take so long, but left, relieved that I didn't have to do anything else.

After 6 weeks my card hadn't arrived so I called and asked. The lady on the line said that the INS hadn't processed my file yet, and it usually took a few months for immigrants to get processed.

The first week in November I got very nervous and called again. This lady said I could try calling a certain phone number - 916-657-7445 - to see if they had any advice. I did, repeatedly, but got a busy signal that caused my phone to hang up after four seconds - and I can't disable that function on my phone.

Today I woke up, angry, and decided to call again. I got through to the DMV (finally) and THIS lady said that I'd have to contact the DMV Legal Presence Unit and have them check on me to make sure nothing was wrong with my file. Guess what? Same number!

So I called. And called. And called again! I FINALLY got through! A very nice man named Brian told me that I'd have to fax them a front and back copy of my greencard to his office, along with my drivers' license number, my daytime phone number, and address the fax to Attn Brian.
I thanked him and immediately set out to Kinko's, which, conveniently, is right down the street from me.
I got the fax sent off (who knew it costs $2.60 to send a fax?!) and got the confirmation message.

Now I guess I just wait. Maybe I should call the DMV and see if I have to get a new temporary license because my current one is going to run out soon.

1 comment:

Jay said...

Since this was the only reference on the net to the above number phone number (916-657-7445), I thought I would leave my info here also.

- Took Cali drivers test on Oct 25, 2012.
- Called DMV (general line) on Dec 4, 2012, was forwarded to the 7445 number.
- Called to 7445 number repeatedly (also getting a busy signal)
- When I got through, I was informed that my license was pending me faxing in proof. I was given a fax number and was told to put it Attn: [person I spoke with]

Never was I informed that this proof was required. I would say if you are in a similar situation, check on your license status if it doesn't arrive after 4 weeks.

My GF who is also here on a visa got her license in the mail without having to send in information, but she took her test at a different DMV (her: Daly City, me: San Mateo).

My guess: it depends on which DMV office you took the test, and whether they photocopied and sent in your supporting info.