Thursday, October 21, 2010

Busy afternoon

When I got home today after stopping at the bank for laundry quarters I found out that my water was shut off AGAIN. Turns out it wasn't my apartment complex's fault this time, but the water department - they were digging up a main in the street and had to shut off all the water. Of course, the minute you're not allowed to go to the bathroom or wash your hands or drink you desperately want to...plus I couldn't do laundry!! This lasted from when I got home (around 11:50 am) til 4:20 pm when I finally decided to call and complain. I had the number dialed and thought, "Well, let's check one last time" and it FINALLY worked!
I'm a bit iffy about the water, but if I get sick I'm used to it, there's plenty of medicine in the house.

Once the water got turned on I managed to get my laundry sorted and started, I washed all my dishes, cleaned my sink, took out all the trash and then I sorted the hang-dry from the tumble dry and my clothes are currently tumbling away or dripping gently in the closet. And that all took less than two hours! Amazing!

I'm making stir-fry tonight in order to use up some of my asparagus and I also need to make chickpea salad so that my parsley doesn't wilt and die. So once my laundry is done I'm going to be chained to the kitchen for awhile. Not that I really mind, I love cooking.
I've decided to get a jack-o-lantern pumpkin and use the flesh for this yummy looking pumpkin soup recipe I found online. I tried to see if there was a better pumpkin than the jack-o-lantern to eat, but apparently it's good if you season it correctly. I don't care what anyone says, I am NOT using cinnamon!!!

Thanksgiving Menu update: I can't decide whether to make fresh white bread (so I can use the leftovers for gourmet french toast) or cornbread muffins. Decisions...decisions...I think half the fun of holidays is getting to plan the menu!
I found a yummy looking harvard beet recipe so I'm really excited and hoping mine will taste as nice (dare I hope nicer??) than the ones you can't get in supermarkets here.

This should be a good weekend. I'm going to check out at least one farmers' market in hope of finding annonnas...maybe two or three, they're so worth it!

No comments: