Friday, October 8, 2010

Sore fingers

Test on Thursday went much better than I feared. I had a little bit of trouble with the matching and the long-answer, but the short-answers I knew well, so I'm hoping for a high B - low A...and I'm going to revamp how I study. Draw, draw, and draw some more!! (Lots and lots of diagrams in geology...who knew?!)

After my test I went to the Anthro office and picked up my very first paycheck! I only worked 2 weeks this month so my check was for $670, and I was super psyched. It's so lovely to get paid! Then I had to run down to the Foundation building to get the paper for my last key, and then to the key issue office to get the actual key. They nearly sent me back for another signature (again!) but the lady in charge decided that since the University Research Office was "such a mess" they'd just accept the guy who signed it. I don't know, the URO looks pretty clean and organized to me!

Then I headed home, had some lunch, and worked for awhile on my NAGPRA stuff. The rest of the day was spent eating and watching tv...and then I read Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea. I might read Anne of the Island tonight, if I don't decide to write - I really need to bust my writers' block and finish my manuscripts. Stupid writers' block :(

Today I slept in a little, showered, then went to campus to work on the NAGPRA stuff some more - I'd finished the file folder I had here, so I went to my lab and worked through the notebooks there. Then I tried to get into the file cabinet where the site records are, and guess what? The top drawer opens...the bottom drawer opens...the middle drawer, where the site records are, will NOT open. It's one of those dreadful cabinets that only lets one drawer be open at a time, and I think the middle shelf is jammed under the top shelf - you can see the top one pressing down onto the middle one when it's shut, and it's an awful pain to open itself.
I txtd a few people, asking for advice, which came back as an almost-unanimous "Kick it", which wasn't much help as I was wearing sandals.
I'm going to email my boss and ask if there's some sort of knack to it, and if not, I'm suggesting dynamite.

But my fingers are so sore! I kept trying to pry the damn thing open, first from the top and then from the bottom, and not only are the tips of my fingers STILL red half an hour later, you can still see the red lines right next to where the tip of the fingernail separates from your finger. So, I definitely tried hard! Maybe I should go out and get a crowbar.

The rest of my day today: I need to get camping supplies at REI for my fieldtrip next weekend, I must deposit my check, clean my apartment (how does it keep getting so messy?!), study, get shampoo, write a paper (well, at least start it), and cook myself a really nice dinner. It is Friday after all!

I think I'm going to make egg-fried rice because I haven't had it for a couple weeks. Or maybe I'll make spicy shrimp, because I have two pounds of shrimp in my freezer (that's totally four meals right there). Or, I might make latkes, because I have had the most insane cravings for like a month now and I just never make them because I'm so tired of accidentally grating my fingers instead of the potatoes. Then again, considering my hands, maybe not today.

Happy Friday!

No comments: