Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Concatenation of Unfortunate Circumstances

So I spent the weekend feverishly sewing and being excited about Halloween - all until Saturday night when I texted my neighbor to ask if he was holding his party (which he has been bragging about since August) on Friday night or Saturday night. He replied that he wasn't throwing it anymore because he has too much work (he's a film major and has been bragging about how far ahead he is of his class all semester). Hence, my night was ruined, and all the grocery shopping I did on Sunday didn't really cheer me up, except for the pumpkin carving.

Yes, I, for the first time in my life, carved a pumpkin!
Photobucket
My pattern!

Photobucket
Where the guts were...

Photobucket
The guts

Photobucket
Carved pumpkin 1

Photobucket
Carved pumpkin 2

Photobucket
My jack-o-lanterns glowing in the dark!!!

Sunday I also fixed my computer - it had been refusing to run virus scans for weeks now because of overheating issues. Here is how I overcame that difficulty:
Photobucket

Monday, however, is when the REAL craziness happened. I got a fatal virus on my big laptop (whom I have named Big Blue - my mini netbook is named MiniCarla) and when I couldn't get rid of it I had to perform a system restore. That's right, back to out-of-box condition!

I managed to get it wiped before I rushed to campus for the AGSA (Anthropology Graduate Student Association) meeting, which ended 40 minutes before class started so I ran to the Nugget and had a quick blonde ale and caught the beginning of the game before trudging off to class. Funny thing about being tipsy and trying to subjectively analyze Karl Marx and Marxism and a sociocultural theory: it doesn't work. You can't focus.

Our prof was sick so we got off an hour and a half early (it's a three hour class), which was FANTASTIC, and I went home and cooked myself a lovely dinner, watched tv for an hour while I tried to reinstall stuff on my computer. Turns out I hadn't backed up my files for a couple weeks (well, I tried on Sunday night and it did back up SOME of my files before the computer overheated and I gave up) so I lost all of the NAGPRA work I've done for my job for the past three weeks. I'm everlastingly thankful I emailed a good deal of it to my professor so I could download the files from my sent emails, otherwise my situation would be so much worse. I was terrified that he'd be really mad at me, but he responded to my email with one word: "Blargh!" so I THINK he's not mad, just empathizing with my pain. I hope.

Tuesday I had my early class, went, came home and passed out, then got up and started working on my laptop again. At 4:30 I had to stop and go to a CLASC (College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Committee) meeting, and finally dragged myself home at half past six. I tried to resurrect my bookmarks, and I've found a dozen of the most important ones, but I'm still missing a ton of my favorites which sucks. I'll find them eventually, I'm sure, but it's such a pain. And I thought I'd made a word document of my favorite bookmarks after the last system restore I had to do, and I can't find it, so apparently I didn't. I think I'm going to have to do that this time though.
I managed to get the printer working - you have to download software from the internet when you have no idea where your cd is, and I kept trying to download the wrong damn software - as well as Skype and AIM and went to bed early again, being very tired.

Today I only had one class and absolutely had to nap after it too. I've been so tired lately, it's ridiculous. I've gotten some of my NAGPRA catch-up done but I'm meeting a friend for dinner soon so I'll have to finish it later...then early class tomorrow, a lunchtime theory meeting with Dr. Lipo and the other archaeology students, and then there's an anthropology mixer from 5-8 pm. After that I'm finally free to a) finish my NAGPRA work for the week, b) finish sewing my Halloween costume and c) sleep.
Except that the Project Runway Season Finale is on at 9, so while I might be sewing during that, you can be assured I will not be working or sleeping!!

No comments: